Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Thursday, December 15, 2011

Sadder News about Shrek (but he is still here!)

We got the devastating news last week Shrek had a tumor that had to be removed immediately. Even worse, it was on his cheek. He had surgery last Wednesday and came home that night. He had continued to lose weight and along with his other ailments was of grave concern to the vet. He is recovering slowly but his face looks 100x better. The surgeon did a great job. The good news is, being a shar pei, he had lots of extra skin around the tumor for the surgeon to use when sewing him up. The bad news (well, a small piece of all of the bad news) is that the tumor was on his face so he could not remove enough skin around it for a clean and total removal. This means it is a waiting game as it will most likely return. Luckily, the type of tumor Shrek has is not that kind that spreads.

Shrek means a lot to us, me especially, and I am so happy he will be home for Christmas. Last Tuesday I thought they were going to tell me his cancer had spread but for now he is hanging in there. He is currently on 6 (six!) prescriptions and 3 supplements. But you know what? He still loves life and is a fighter. The surgeon said if it was his dog, he would do the surgery and bring him home too.

I wanted our Christmas card to be special for Skylar but since this is probably Shrek's last Christmas, he is in the picture too. Anyway, Skylar slept through every single photo shoot for the card anyway! Wake up, sleepyhead!

He is such a funny dog. He sneaks on the couch when we are not home. He eats any grocery left on the floor--including flour (yuck!) He loves bread and has stolen hot dog buns and taken the bag outside twice (we didn't learn the first time.) He is always in the way, who knows how many times we have stepped on him or accidentally kicked him. He is extremely gentle with children and let Leila pull on him and hug him and even sit on him. He is basically a really great dog, despite all of his quirks.

We have a lot of funny stories about him. When we first got him, we took him to the beach. We were on a walk at dusk with Shrek on his leash. A couple with 2 bigger dogs not on leashes were coming towards us when their dogs ran up to Shrek, growling. He had one pinned to the ground by the throat in about 2 seconds. The woman ran up and said something about a "mean little dog" but our dog was the one on a leash and her 2 dogs charged him! Patrick likes that story because it shows what Shrek could do with that huge mouth of his. They were bred for fighting originally.

I have 2 favorite stories. After Hurrican Ike, my parent's fence blew down. When I went to stay with them because we had no power, Shrek got out of their backyard. I drove around looking for him in their unfamiliar neighborhood. When I found him, I got out of the car and called his name. He started running as fast he could in the other direction. I followed him back to my parent's house and when I pulled up, he was sitting by the back gate like he had been there all along waiting for me. Except he was panting!!

My other favorite story is about when Leila was a baby. We did not know how Shrek would do with a baby. He was great. He used to sit between me and the door when I was rocking her, protecting us. One time we took her and Shrek to a friend's house. She was in her car seat. A huge great dane-lab mix puppy walked up to her car seat to investigate what was inside. He jumped up and knocked that dog to the ground!

He is an amazing dog, and as anyone who has dogs know they are part of the family. He always knew when I was sad and would let me cuddle with him or pay me extra attention. He was around me all of the time during my pregnancies, like how they say dogs know something is different. Also, I am the one who feeds him too though...



This picture was taken in the middle of the night during Skylar's 1st month. Shrek could not find his bed in the dark and I woke up to find he had crawled into the laundry basket!! And yes, it was clean laundry. He loves to be on something soft.







No comments:

Post a Comment