Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Thursday, April 19, 2012

Bad, Bad Bumbos



I never had a Bumbo chair for Leila.  They were one of those cool kid things I figured we could live without since we own every other cool kid thing ever made.  When a friend offered to let me use hers for Skylar, I was thankful and have used it for a month or two... until today.

SKYLAR FELL OUT OF HER BUMBO.  She is officially a reason the CPSC issued a recall for the Bumbo several years ago. 

NO, SHE IS NOT HURT.  And no, I did not see her fall out.  I placed her in the chair on the floor, placed two toys on her lap and next thing I knew she was on her tummy next to the Bumbo.  Not crying, just doing the superman thing and looking around.

BUT IT GETS WORSE.  I googled "Yellow Bumbo" to find a picture of the chair to show you, and guess what?  Those yellow bumbos are full of cadmium and lead.  And it is not even from China.  They are made in South America.

NO MORE BUMBOS FOR US.  I will tell everyone I know that is having a baby this story.  We were lucky.  Other babies suffered skull fractures, or concussions.  This is not a safe product.  It just takes a second for an injury to happen.  If you have one and never had a problem, say a little thank you prayer.

QUESTIONS?  See these articles:
http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/retail/story/2012-02-09/bumbo-baby-seats-safety/53032746/1

http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?section=news/7_on_your_side&id=8538195

http://www.cpsc.gov/onsafety/2011/11/infants-in-bumbo-baby-seats-falling-from-elevated-surfaces-and-suffering-serious-head-injuries/

http://blog.essco-safetycheck.com/2010/01/30/lead-cadmium-found-in-yellow-bumbo-seats/

1 comment:

  1. Yikes! We have a blue bumbo and no such incidents but I did read those articles after we were over and done with them. Glad Skylar is ok. Can't wait til the day we can all hang out together.

    ReplyDelete